Monday

Petition: Cast Ben Barnes in these Brontë Classics Now!

It’s been a while since we’ve had new adaptations of “Jane Eyre” by Charlotte Brontë and “Wuthering Heights” by Emily Brontë. 

I speak for many when I say there is no better actor to portray the male lead in each of these neo-Gothic classics than Ben Barnes (Shadow & Bone, The Punisher, Westworld, The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc.)

One of Barnes’ most recent roles in the Netflix adaptation of Leigh Bardugo’s Shadow & Bone fantasy series showcases his innate ability to tackle complicated, morally gray characters in a period setting. 

Imagine Barnes delivering memorable and moving lines such as:

“I have a strange feeling with regard to you. As if I had a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly knotted to a similar string in you. And if you were to leave I'm afraid that cord of communion would snap. And I have a notion that I'd take to bleeding inwardly. As for you, you'd forget me.” (Mr. Rochester, “Jane Eyre”)

"Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living. You said I killed you--haunt me then. The murdered do haunt their murderers. I believe--I know that ghosts have wandered the earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad. Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!” (Heathcliff, “Wuthering Heights”) 

On behalf of the millions of devotees of the Brontë sisters’ works, English literature, cinema, and Barnes’ acting prowess, I appeal to filmmakers to give moviegoers the adaptations they want and deserve to see. 

To sign the petition, please visit: Cast Ben Barnes in these Brontë Classics Now!


No comments: